Saturday, February 28, 2009

And then on Friday

On our way over to the New Hampshire Shooting Range and right past the high school we saw a mature eagle soaring. Then we hiked up to the range and had a great view of what was to me the future possible nest for the local eagles. No eagles spotted for a while. Then we saw what appeared to be a pair of eagles riding the wind gusts down the river and then out of sight over the NH ridge line past the entrance to the Ashuelot River. I felt a powerful "Eagle Love" as I laid in the snow watching them glide by. They didn't stop at the nest site or take much of a look around that particular area. But for one brief moment I was brimming with hope. When they flew down the river we wondered if they were the Barton Cove pair come to pay a visit. I suppose that with the eagle gone this has opened up a whole new possibility for new pairs to come check out the freshly available real estate.

I chatted last night with Tom Ricardi, a retired environmental police officer who has helped rehabilitate birds of prey, about the possibility of the female eagle's injury. If she had been injured there are so many possibilities:

But he did give me an awesome fact: he believes that the male eagle in the pair was a release of his.
More on this topic later~

No comments:

Post a Comment